Friday, October 02, 2009

Things Sleeptracker Should Invent: "I'm going to bed now" button

I've been playing with a Sleeptracker recently. I might post a more comprehensive review later, but my preliminary assessment based on the first couple of tries is that it does what it says it does.

However, there is one thing that annoys me. If you want it to track the quality of your sleep during the night (rather than just waking you up at an optimal time), you have to set a "to bed" time, i.e. tell it in advance what time you're going to bed. Setting the "to bed" time involves as much fussy button-pressing as setting an alarm time on a regular digital watch, which is annoying because I don't go to bed at the same time every night and despite my best efforts never end up in bed at the time I planned to - which is why I need a Sleeptracker to wake me up in the first place. So this means that if I want to track my sleep quality, I have to fuss with buttons and set the time just before I go to bed every single night. Not especially user-friendly, and probably won't be something I can keep up in the long term.

What I'd like to be able to do is press one button (or one button sequence) to tell the tracker "I'm going to bed right now." Then it automatically sets the "to bed" time as whatever the current time is. Surely we have the technology to do that?

5 comments:

laura k said...

Hm, this is interesting. Do you have sleep apnea, or is this about waking up during a good point in your biorythms? (If that's what it's called, the cycle thingy.)

impudent strumpet said...

It wakes you up at the best point in the cycle thing (I don't know what it's called either). You give it a time range, and it wakes you up at a point during that time range when you're closest to awake anyway.

laura k said...

If you wanted to post about how it's working, I'd be interested.

impudent strumpet said...

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can review it properly anyway. It takes 7-10 nights to get used to the user's sleep patterns (and I don't use it on weekends) then I'd have to try it for a few more days to be able to review it properly.

joni said...

If you have the Pro or Elite model, you only have to press the DOWN button for 3sec or so to set the time to now +30min (when you should be surely asleep, so that no wrong movement data is recorded).