Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Things They Should Invent: tag other people's posts

I'm watching a DVD that has been Youtubed in its entirety. It's divided into several parts, each titled and tagged with "DVD Name Part X." The original poster didn't put any more tags. This does meet the original poster's and the target audience's initial goal, which is to watch the entire DVD. However, I keep noting certain scenes that I might want to show to people at some point in the future, because it's entertaining or to illustrate a point or something. This isn't how the original poster anticipated me using the video, or how I anticipated using it going in, but it is how I'm likely to use it in the future. The problem is, how am I going to find these specific scenes if I want to show them to someone weeks from now? There are several scenes of interest, and many parts of the DVD posted on Youtube, but they're sorted purely chronologically, without any thematic indications.

Right now I'm making do by adding to my IE bookmarks, but really what I'd like to be able to do is add tags to the Youtube post. Then when I'm looking for that particular scene again in the future (as well as if anyone else in the fandom is looking for that scene) I can just search for "DVD Name" widgets to find the widget scene.

And if we can do it for Youtube, why not do it for everything that's author-tagged?

No comments: