Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Fw:

My feet hurt.

I got these lovely comfy new shoes. There was a bit of extra space, so I
thought I needed insoles (it's one of those things that my parents drilled
into my head: YOU NEED INSOLES IF THERE IS EXTRA SPACE IN YOUR SHOES). So I
got lovely comfy gel insoles. I put the insoles in my shoes and set off to
work.

As I walked down the street, I noticed that my feet hurt. It seems the
insoles had made the space inside my shoes too short, vertically speaking,
so the tops of my feet were pressed against the "roof" of the shoe. It was
raining so I couldn't sit down on a bench, and you don't just take your
shoes off on the subway, so I couldn't take the insoles out until I got to
work. And by the time I got to work blisters had formed on the top of my
toes, and then burst open.

So now I have open weeping sores on the tops of my toes, and all my shoes
cover that particular part of my toes, so I'll have to be in pain for a few
days, unless I decide to drop out of society and stay home with my feet up,
which is becoming increasingly tempting by the moment. And I'm seriously
considering dropping my class just to avoid the pain of walking the block
and a half from the nearest subway station to the building where my class
is. That's one advantage of taking classes - four days a week, the amount
of walking and stair-climbing I do daily is increased by 50%, which is a
good thing unless your feet are in constant pain.

This is probably the most pain I've been in as a result of shoe problems,
which is ironic considering that these shoes are perfectly flat, made of
leather, and have good supportive straps. I would have been more
comfortable if I had worn my 4-inch heels.

No comments: