Thursday, December 27, 2018

Metropasses

May 2002 Metropass (source: Colnect)
I got my first Metropass in May 2002, when I was doing my internship.  I felt so glamorously adult, going into an office each morning and swiping my pass like a proper grownup who does this all the time!

I went back to tokens when I was back in school, but once again turned to Metropasses once I graduated and started working full-time. I'm not sure if they ended up being cheaper than tokens every single month, but I loved the convenience - hopping on and off the TTC whenever I wanted, swiping my way into turnstiles.  It made me feel like a real urbanite, a true part of my city.
March 2013 Metropass (source: Woodsworth College Students Association)

I stopped using Metropasses when I started working from home in 2013.  But even though I haven't needed them in over five years, I'm still sad that they're being discontinued in favour of the Presto card. My Metropasses have been symbols of and tools of adulthood, independence, urbanity...all the things I never dreamed I was even allowed to aspire to. And so I mourn their loss.  My Presto card, while it has the same functions, doesn't have the same emotional weight.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I get it. Interesting, the things that carry emotional resonance.

When I got my Ontario drivers license, they made me hand over my New York State license. I had a NYS driver's license since I was 16. It was a symbol of independence, freedom, escape. I didn't want to let it go.

The Ministry clerk said a lot of people feel that way, and asked me if I wanted a copy of it! I was amazed, because a DMV clerk in New York would *never* have done that. I took the copy, but I still felt wistful giving up my old license.

Now I have no emotional attachment to my Ontario license. When I get my BC license, I won't have an issue.

impudent strumpet said...

That's so thoughtful of the MTO clerk - and I'm also glad they're empowered to do things like that!