Tuesday, November 08, 2011

People who are really two people

When I hear of someone but they don't have particular immediate importance to me, I mentally file away their name with the set of distinguishing characteristics. Sometimes I later hear of another person with a reasonably similar set of distinguishing characteristics, and I file their name away too. Then I carry these names around for a while, not realizing that they're two different people until I see them compared or contrasted.

Here are a few people I've recently learned are two different people:

- Van Halen and Van Morrison

- Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder

- Keith Olbermann and Anderson Cooper

- Peggy Nash and Cheri DiNovo

- Brian Posehn and Louis C.K.

3 comments:

laura k said...

Some of these folks are so different, they may be greatly relieved that you have distinguished between them!

impudent strumpet said...

With Van Halen and Van Morrison, I immediately recognized the difference in musical styles. But instead of thinking "Wait, there must be two artists with similar names," I thought "Wow, this guy has range!"

laura k said...

That's hilarious, especially because I love Van Morrison, and Van Halen was big during my teens. I'd like to think of other good pairs.

Pat Boone and Pat Benatar.

Jay-Z and Jay Sherman.

But Jay Sherman's not a real person. He's a cartoon character.