Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Excellent posing skills

I was very impressed when I saw this picture in the newspaper:



(The people in the picture are irrelevant to this post. Apparently they're in the news because the gentleman has an ironic surname.)

My first thought was how astoundingly skinny the lady is. But then I noticed the drape of her skirt, and realized she's not as skinny as she looks at first glance. They've very cleverly placed her arm (the one that's holding the bouquet) so it's lined up perfectly with the back of her torso, creating the optical illusion that her torso consists only of the visible portion not blocked by her arm. And the gentleman's hands around her waist are very carefully arranged to create the illusion that they are wrapped nearly all the way around the skinny illusory waist without wasting space or destroying the optical illusion by placing the hands where they'd be blocked by the bouquet arm.

This appears to be achieved entirely with careful arrangement of the pose, and the effect is better than paid photoshop jobs used in fashion magazines. Well done!

6 comments:

laura k said...

I think that's the photographer's job, to perfectly pose the couple.

The one time I had a headshot taken of me by a professional photographer, I couldn't believe how much better I looked, just from the angle of my head and where she had me look!

What was the guy's last name?

impudent strumpet said...

Weiner.

laura k said...

Weiner(s) have been in the news lately.

laura k said...

I didn't take a good look at the guy, didn't realize it was The Weiner.

impudent strumpet said...

My theory is that they wouldn't be getting nearly as much attention if the surname didn't make people's inner 12-year-old snicker.

laura k said...

Maybe, but politicians who email photos of their penises to women they barely know, then refuse to admit they did anything wrong, and refuse to resign, are easy targets.