Saturday, July 03, 2010

Why are plainclothes police officers allowed to grab people off the street?

I missed this at first in all the commotion, but:

Although the group was peaceful and chanting, mayhem erupted at about noon, seemingly without warning. A black van pulled up and four plainclothes officers emerged, darted into the crowd and quickly snatched a man and a woman.


We are finding police are meeting them there with brutality,” she said. “They are circling groups of people in smaller groups. We have seen plainclothes officers snatching people and throwing them into cars.”


A man is detained as a peaceful protest descended into chaos after plain clothes officers pulled up in a van in front of the protestors and raced into the crowd to grab several suspects, in front of the temporary detention centre at Eastern Ave. and Pape Ave.


So a bunch of strange men grab me and try to throw me in a van. You know what? At that point, I'm fighting for my life. If they're in plain clothes and an unmarked vehicle, you have no way of knowing they're cops. This doesn't even give you the opportunity to go along peacefully, because you're operating under the assumption that you're being abducted.

And if you are being abducted the further away your abductors take you, the less chance you have of escaping. So you're doing everything it takes, no matter the risk, to stop them. I've given a lot of thought to what I'd do if someone tries to grab me off the street, and that includes trying to run into traffic, trying to crash the vehicle that we're in, trying to blind or disable the driver while he's driving - at this point I'm quite willing to risk my life. So how is this even a good idea from a policing perspective? I'm sure it puts the officers at much greater risk, because the people are assuming they're being abducted and therefore fighting for their life. Sure, they could shout at the person that they're police while trying to subdue them, but are you going to take your abductor's word on that? Are you going to stop fighting off your abductor to check ID?

And how much you want to bet these people still got charged with resisting arrest?

1 comment:

laura k said...

And if you are being abducted the further away your abductors take you, the less chance you have of escaping.

And of surviving. It sounds like you already know this, but I've been taught to do anything and everything to attempt to not be taken to what is called a "secondary crime scene".

I can think of few things more terrifying than abduction.

Boy I wish you'd write something for a larger audience about this. I hope that wish doesn't bother you. I just can't help it.