When I was in Grade 3, a substitute teacher told us that the words to O Canada had been changed. The line "in all thy sons command" was now "in all of us command". That seemed eminently sensible to me, so I started using it and never looked back.
That's why it surprised me to hear in the Speech from the Throne that they're considering changing O Canada to make it gender-neutral. I thought they did that 20 years ago.
That's strange. Do you think your teacher was engaging in a bit of wishful thinking, trying to project and make it so?
ReplyDeleteI have no idea. Maybe they were talking about it at the time and it seemed so completely obvious that she just assumed it would go through. (That's certainly how I felt this time around). Or maybe she just figured that if she could tell this to 30 children a day over years and years (and she was a sub so she had a different 30 children every day), it would just spread. I know I certainly use it because it's a superior lyric.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely is.
ReplyDelete