The problem with conventional opinions is that to the onlooker, a conventional opinion that you've blindly accepted without a second of critical thought looks exactly the same as a conventional opinion that you've analyzed deeply.
Suppose I say, "I don't believe in photons". Regardless of how sensible you think that opinion is, it's clear that I've thought about it rather than unquestioningly accepting what I was taught in science class.
However, if I say, "I think democracy is a good thing," you have no way of telling whether I've given the matter any thought or whether I'm just blindly accepting society's opinion.
It's like using the word "literally" or "awesome" to mean what they actually mean. You have to alwyas explain.
ReplyDeleteI find myself doing the same thing when I agree with the majority. Which is rare, but it happens.
I actually learned the ninja turtle meaning of awesome years and years before I learned the original meaning, so my usage is a bit skewed.
ReplyDeleteLuckily, we can now measure awesome in hotdogs.