Sunday, September 11, 2005

Things I Don't Understand: anti-medical-testing sentiment

Ontario recently increased the number of genetic tests that they do on newborn babies, but there are some people who are opposed to this. I'd assume it's for financial reasons or something because, although I don't think money is a good reason, I can't conceive of any other idea why people would be opposed to testing newborns for genetic diseases.

But there are other situations where I've heard of people being opposed to preventive medical testing, and they make less and less sense.

For example, breast cancer. They've identified I think two genes that increase a woman's (I'm not sure whether it also applies to men) risk of breast cancer, but some people are opposed to testing everyone for them unless they already have a strong family history. I don't feel particularly deprived that I don't get this test because there has not been a single instance of breast cancer in my family, but it certainly wouldn't bother me if my doctor proposed testing me for breast cancer genes.

It also came up a few years ago that breast self-exams are ineffective when you look at it from a statistical perspective. Since this happened I've noticed that my health care providers have been putting less emphasis on encouraging me to examine my breasts, but I've also noticed a small but vocal "Self-exams are BAD!" contingent. I don't understand that. It takes 30 seconds in the shower once a month, and consumes no resources whatsoever. Not actively encouraging women to examine their breasts is one thing, but actively discouraging it? WTF?

Then there's pregnancy tests. There was talk a while back of systematically giving every girl and woman of potentially fertile age a pregnancy test when she is admitted to the hospital or ER, just to make sure she isn't pregnant. Some people thought this was HORRIBLE to do without the woman's consent, and particularly horrible to do to underage girls without their and their parents' consent. Personally, if I were underage and in distress and admitted to the hospital with my overprotective parents by my side (and they'd probably be more overprotective than usual because I was hurt), I would much rather have them take some blood or urine and just quietly test it than have them ask me the (embarrassing when you're a young teen) questions of "Are you pregnant? Is it at all possible that you might be pregnant? How do you know? What makes you say that? Are you sure?" If I'm in the hospital for something of which the treatment could have an effect on a potential pregnancy, they're going to be taking blood and/or urine anyway, so they may as well just test for pregnancy and spare me the Spanish Inquisition.

On a similar note, there's STD (or do I have to say STI now?) tests. I am systematically tested for STDs every year when I get my pap smear, and for certain STDs every time I give blood. I have no problem with this. I know that there is no possible way that I have an STD, but if they want to test for it, fine. What they do with my blood or pap culture in the lab has no effect whatsoever on me, and this improves my credibility every time I say "There's no possible way I have an STD," and the test comes back negative, corroborating my statement. But I've heard of people getting INSULTED and OFFENDED at the idea of their being tested for STDs. Why? The test doesn't give you an STD. It doesn't change your morals or your sexual behaviour. In fact, it provides documentary evidence supporting that you are representing your sexual behaviour correctly.

So why does the idea of the blood lab running more tests than the patient thinks are strictly necessary bother people so much?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IM, what is really funny is that CBS (Canadian Blood Services) had that huge tainted blood scare way back when and there were lawsuits and people got hep. and other things I don't remember. So it was suddenly, "OMG! We need to do more testing!" There was a MASSIVE, angry outcry from people everywhere, "OMG, do more testing!" And now they VERY carefully screen people and the QC is very tight. And now people are insulted when they are tested for STDs and asked personal questions. If you look it up on their website the questions are actually very simple. If you don't like the questions, that poses the idea that maybe you have something you want to hide? People act like this is some violation of their rights. NO! People had tainted blood...so if you donate blood, and bless you for doing so, SHUT IT!