Friday, September 09, 2005

Heir to the Glimmering World by Cynthia Ozick

I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. I'm not quite sure why it has the title that it does. Any assessment that I might make is overshadowed by the fact that, throughout the second half of the book, random chapters narrated by an omniscient narrator suddenly pop up. The ostensible first-person narrator is the protagonist, but these random third-person chapters contain information about other people that she could never have known. It really made me think that the author lost control of the story.

The plot itself is okay, but nothing I'm too enthusiastic about. I don't really care that much about the characters, and I don't think I'd ever pick up the book again - not out of dislike, but simply because I already read it. I guess this book didn't work on me.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi, I found your site off a technorati search for "Heir to the Glimmering World." I'm interested in starting a discussion about it on my site (www.nybrainterrain.blogspot.com, actually in the same format as yours). Would you be interested? Let me know.