Saturday, June 05, 2004

On VIA 1, (which, by the way, is god), there are attendants at the entrance
to each train car to help you lug your baggage up the stairs onto the train.
Generally these attendants are men in suits, but on my train ride home the
attendant at the entrance of my car was a woman wearing a skirt and heels.

I am quite capable of lugging my own suitcase, but generally I let the
attendant do the tricky part of getting it up the stairs because that's what
they're there for and I'm lazy. However, since this attendant was wearing a
skirt and I was wearing pants, I told her I didn't need help. This is just
the way I do things - I relieve other people of heavy lifting and other
awkward physical labour if they are wearing a skirt or other cumbersome
clothing in the hopes that this karma will come back to me when I'm in a
skirt and heels.

So after I've dealt with my suitcase and settled into my seat, this
attendant comes up to me and asks me to follow her to the front of the car
so she can show me how to work the emergency exits. It turns out that on
trains there needs to be a passenger who knows how to open each emergency
door, just like on airplanes the passengers next to the doors need to know
how to open them. So I go along and learn how to open the door. However, I
found it odd that she had asked me. With my high-maintenance appearance,
scrawny little arms and dumpy middle, I hardly come across as the type you'd
want to go charging to the rescue in an emergency situation. "Well," she
explained, "As you see, it takes some physical strength to open this door
manually, and you're the only passenger on the train right now who is able
to carry their own suitcase."

Moral of the story: pretend to be weak and helpless on VIA rail.

No comments: