Thursday, February 05, 2004

Latest book read: The Bug by Ellen Ullman. What am I doing reading a book called The Bug? Well, it isn't entymological (sp????), it's about a software bug. (Although the icon/motif thing to introduce a new chapter is an ascii insect, so people more phobic than me might be bothered).

It's a mystery/thriller about software testing and debugging, which works better than it sounds like. This book was particularly interesting to me because I can identify very strongly with both of the main characters. Each of them is about 75% me. The story works well and they incorporate a lot of actual code to explain the bug, but through the narration you can get a sufficient understanding of what's going on even if you can't read C.

However, I didn't like the way this book handled relationships/romance/sex. It simply did not contribute anything. Only one relationship had the slightest significance ever to the overall plot. It felt like the author was putting relationships in because she thought there should be relationship stuff in a book.

No comments: