Saturday, February 07, 2004

As I write this, I'm sipping on Spinelli Quartana Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. I hope I spelled that right. First wine I've ever bought where I didn't know which words were the brand name and which words were the wine type without Google. This wine reminds me of why I like red wine. It's only about $7, but it's neither too tannic nor too young, as I've found is often the problem with inexpensive reds. If you asked me what it tastes like, I'd have to answer red grapes. Which is a strange answer (albeit an eminently reasonable thing for red wine to taste like), but I've never felt inclined to say that a wine tastes like grapes before. It's rich and subdued, with different flavours coming into the foreground depending on what you're eating. It makes me want to eat cheese, which again is eminently reasonable. Quite enjoyable with none of the disappointments of my recent red wine forays, and quite a nice price!

No comments: