Wednesday, May 14, 2003

The woman on the subway is about my age. She is talking about a child. After a while, I realize she is talking about her own child. My first thought is "She doesn't look like a mother!"

Then I realize that I tend to assume by default that people aren't parents unless I know for certain that they are. This doesn't just apply to young people. I met my future co-workers yesterday. They range in age from my age to my parents' age, and I found myself assuming that everyone is childfree except for those whom I already know have children.

This makes me wonder if people who do have children assume everyone has children. Are there people seeing me on the subway in passing, especially when I'm all dressed up like a grownup, thinking I might be going home to a small child of some sort?

No comments: